When I was a little girl living in Guyana, South America, my mom used to take me to see my Great Aunt Jean, who is a great seamstress. I still remember how she pinned and gathered the fabric to create style and bounce, all while holding animated and entertaining conversations with my mom. I draw my inspiration for color, texture and patterns from memories of my Uncle Reggie's (Great Aunt Jean's husband) garden. He took pride in his garden, and the vibrant colors, textures and patterns of the fruits, flowers and vegetables still lingers in my mind. I apply the same meticulous care and love to my pieces, that Uncle Reggie applied to his garden.
That was just the beginning of my love for art, design and color. After graduating from college, I started Yinibini Baby! All of the clothing and accessories are all handmade or screenprinted and /or block printed by hand.
I consider myself a story-teller who tells stories with illustration and design. Each Illustration is based on a memory that has left a lasting impression on me and it’s my hope that my designs will make you happy!
You can often find me at Eastern Market on the weekends and at other local craft shows in Washington, DC, Maryland, or Virginia. Be sure to check out my Events and Craft Shows page to see where I will be next.
I use domestically-sourced organic cotton and cotton fabrics. My patterned fabrics come from USA-based companies such as Birch and Cloud 9 fabrics.
I also use domestically-sourced organic cotton one-pieces and tees from several USA-based companies:
1. Made in the USA organic cotton one-pieces and tees. These bodysuits are the the ones I primarily source because I love the color selection, the weight of the certified organic cotton, the stretch of their knit fabric and the fact that they are domestically produced! Whenever I’m unable to get an ample supply of these pieces, I then source body-suits and tees from:
2. Royal Apparel: Made in the USA organic cotton pieces. As explained on their website,” At Royal Apparel, we craft our American made clothes with the highest care and quality, reliably producing timeless fashion. We have a commitment to domestic manufacturing and creating American jobs.”
3. Colored Organics: They use GOTS certified organic cotton and pride themselves on ethical production,”..By choosing to be 100% sweatshop-free, we ensure that children play in our clothes, not make them.”
The great selection of colors, patterns and textures makes it easy for you to choose something for your little one. All fabrics are CPSIA compliant and machine washable. My illustrations are screen-printed by hand with non-toxic, water based ink and then is permanently heat-set to not run in the wash.
- Washington City Paper's Best of DC, Best Handmade Products for Kids
Second Place, 2018
Second Place, 2017
- Washington City Paper's BEST of DC, Best Local Crafter, Readers' Poll:
Third Place, 2015
First Place, 2014
Third Place 2013
First Place 2012
Second Place, 2011
- Martha Stewart American Made Awards, Craft Finalist, 2014.
- Judges Award, Clifton Day Festival, 2014
Based and proudly handmade in Washington, DC.
Yinibini Baby is a proud member of the Made in DC Program. To find out more about this program visit www.thisismadeindc.com.